Sunday, July 21, 2013

Fundi


I really enjoyed working side by side with the Kenyans.  They were patient with my limited knowledge of Africa and curious about my country. 
 
Bonnie, Angella and Frank
 
 
They let us try and fail and learn and never once got frustrated.  Fundi translates as "skilled worker" and I found them to be very skilled and very hard workers. 
Mortaring
 
I learned brick laying and plastering and a lot about building in general. If they did not have a tool, they made one.  When the donkey cart had a breakdown, ( the cart, not the donkey) they brought in the cement by wheelbarrow.  And they even used the paper from the bags.. They are very resourceful.
 
 


 
 
 
Note the ladder.
 
Frank learned all of our names and made a point of greeting each of us.  Sammy always smiled when I told him I was on break.  On Wednesday, my One Good Thing was how proud I was that they called me "Fundi".

No comments:

Post a Comment